William's first Halloween was pretty uneventful.. We put a sign on our door that said "Do not ring doorbell.. we have a newborn.".. Michael and I didn't dress up.. Didn't buy candy.. Didn't go Trick or Treating.. Didn't have our traditional "Fansler Boo and Brew". Life is different. BUT! We did dress him up and have him take pictures with our two of our good friend's children, Olivia and Warren. Will wasn't too happy about being in his dalmatian (or cow..whichever) costume. But, in his defense, it was time for his nap and I was being a paparazzi as usual. So, hopefully next year it will be a little more fun for him :) I can't wait to dress him up again.. I already bought him a Santa costume for Christmas. My mom says I have gone from wanting to decorate my house for the holidays to decorating Will... what can I say? I like holidays!
This last week the focus has been putting Will in his crib to take naps. He took to it much better than I thought he would. I still rocked him until he got drowsy, but as soon as those eyelids were about to close completely, I put him down in the crib. Usually pretty quickly he would start flailing his arms and knock his pacifier out, which made him wake up and get mad. I would go back in, put the pacifier back in, and try to get him back to sleep. It sometimes took me going in there 3 times before he would fall asleep for good. Then, if he woke up and started moving around I would go back in. What I ended up finding was that if I left him, he usually put himself back to sleep.. which is a very good thing!! Sometimes he started crying and I would go in and get him. I am trying to minimize the crying to sleep thing (see previous post). I am pleased so far with his progress.
I think I am on books 8 and 9 of baby sleeping habits and I have come to a very important conclusion... there is not a one size fits all baby book. I am taking pieces of advice from each of them, but sometimes the methods contradict each other, so I have to then think "what do I want to do?" It baffles me how I went from being a very structured, routine-based, Type A person to a "fly by the seat of Will's pants" type person. He wakes up whenever, goes to sleep whenever, eats however much he wants... so I am not really surprised why his naptime habits aren't consistent. He still is waking up every 3-4 hours each night, and I am hoping as we become more routine he will start sleeping longer.. or we can hope.
Just as he is doing well with naps... we have a bump in the road. He had to go for his 2 month check-up and get his first vaccines. He got an oral vaccine, and 3 shots in the leg. It was the hardest thing to hear him cry out of pain :( Since we've been home, he just wants to cuddle and anytime I lay him down he starts crying. He has been more tired than normal-- falling right asleep after eating which he normally does not do. So, I'll give him a break today. Poor baby.
On a brighter note, the first thing the doctor says when she comes in is "gosh, he is so big." I guess that's a good thing. He weighed 12lbs 4oz (70th %), he is 24 3/4 inches long (97%.. you read that right.. 97th percentile..wowwww..), and his head is 16 inches around (70th %). We go back in 2 months...hooray..

No comments:
Post a Comment