Monday, November 16, 2009

Fluke.

Well, the sleeping 5 hours and only waking once was a fluke.. the next couple of nights he did only wake up to eat once, but the remaining 4 hours he tossed, turned, whined, cried, and grunted his way through... which left us with less sleep than when he actually woke up one more time to eat. We started him on rice cereal in his formula to help with the reflux, and so far it has helped. Instead of spitting up 5-8 times a day AT LEAST, he has only spit up a few times the whole weekend.

This morning I decided to call the pediatrician, again. I feel like I do it every day. My gut instinct has just been telling me that I am not feeding him enough. He wakes up after his 45 minute naps and is hungry and it has only been 2 hours since he last ate.. that is ridiculous!! Recall how the pediatrician said to "limit" him to 3oz and I laughed.. but since then I have been giving him only 3.5oz at a time..Well, I just got off the phone with the pediatric nurse after calling to inquire about how much formula he should really be taking at a time since he is over 13lbs and all and everything I read says they should be taking 4-6 ounces..

This is what she said..

"It is a rough guideline that they should be taking about half of their body weight in ounces at his age"

I responded, "at a time?! he weighs 13lbs, so thats 6.5 ounces.. he has only been taking 3.5!!"

She said, "yea, I would go out on a limb to say that he isn't getting enough.. that may be why he isn't sleeping well..try 4, if he does well, try 5. If that doesn't fill him up, try 6."

WHAT?! I feel like my pediatrician lied to me. I had been saying all along that he could take more food and she convinced me with her, "their stomachs are only the size of a fist" argument that he could only handle 3oz and 3.5 was pushing it. Ugh. Hopefully giving him more food will make life a little easier on me, and on his belly.. poor guy.

He also slept in his crib last night (in the bassinet, inside the crib) but it was the first night he hadn't slept in our room.. it was harder on me because I heard every noise from the monitor, but it was fun going in his room this morning and turning on the lamp to say "good morning sweetie!" and he gave me a big ole grin! It made the lack of sleep bearable... for about 5 minutes. Then I wanted a nap.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I'm sorry that he isn't sleeping longer! BUT, Noah is about 13 lbs. and we're only giving him 3.5 oz every three hours... and I know he could eat so much more! I may bump his up tonight and see how it goes. I hope it makes Will sleep longer tonight!

    ReplyDelete