Thursday, October 29, 2009

Xanax, Zantac.. same thing..

7 Weeks Old

He's getting such good head control!!


8 Weeks Old




Today I took Will to the pediatrician.. which by the way.. I am way more satisfied with his pediatrician than I have ever been with any of the doctors I have ever seen. They take the time to talk to you and understand that you're going to ask questions like, "when he gets real upset, he snorts.. is this normal?" It is, in case you were wondering. His respiratory system sounds fine, she said. Anyway, he is 8 weeks old today and weighed 12lbs 0.5oz. I went to talk to her about his sleeping and eating habits. Michael wanted me to ask about getting him on Zantac for his gas, which I at first called Xanax and she looked at me and said, "your husband thinks he needs to be on anxiety medicine?!".. Whoops. Wrong medication. But, after speaking with her, it is not necessary right now based on his symptoms. She said to help his spitting up and gas after eating that we should limit him to 3oz of food at a time..

3oz! My jaw hit the floor. That's like telling a 400lb person that they can only eat 1 cheeseburger. Will FLIES through 3 ounces!! He is basically taking 4 now.. so I asked her reasoning and she said that he will probably eat more frequently (awesome....) but hopefully start going longer at night since he filled up on calories during the day. Babies who have colic tend to over eat to soothe themselves, which is why she thinks sometimes he spits up and ends up having painful gas. He goes back next week for all of his shots, so maybe we'll try this 3oz deal and hope that in a week I can give her a good report.

Now as far as his sleeping goes.. she recommended a book to me to read (I can add it to the 5 others I have already read) and basically said that I shouldn't be worried about him sleeping through the night until 4 months. By then, most babies naturally sleep through the night. She also said that I can't really form any bad habits with him right now and he is too young to soothe himself to sleep - a skill that I have now read develops starting around 3-4 months. In regards to my last post where I let Will cry hoping he would soothe himself to sleep --- MOM OF THE YEAR right here. As if I didn't feel guilty enough about it.. he's too young according to the pediatrician. She didn't really address my nap situation except to basically say that if he does only catnap, he'll be ok and catch up on his sleep later in the day.

The bad thing is, I'm a scheduler. I like having routine. But I am also indecisive. I can't figure out how to do the routine or which routine to follow. But I need to figure it out, because in a month, he is going to daycare and I can't put on my instruction sheet, "rock and hold until falls asleep..neglect other children because you cannot put him down without him waking up in 5 minutes. Thanks!" Oh well. We'll figure it out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment