Monday, April 9, 2012

The Arrival of Jackson Cole

Monday - 4/9/2012

We got the call at 6am that we needed to be at the hospital between 7:30-8. Michael's first reaction was to roll over and go back to sleep for a while, but I reminded him that it takes 45 minutes to get to the hospital without dealing with morning traffic, so we got up and ready! We got to the hospital right at 8am and got all checked in/hooked up. They checked me and said that I was still 1cm and at -4 (which basically means he was still really high and not anywhere close to being ready to come out). Dr. Gausmann (who was one of my favorite OBs) said she couldn't break my water even if she wanted to.

Around 9am they started me on Pitocin to hopefully get some contractions started, get him moving down, and eventually be able to break my water. They upped the dose every 30 minutes. The contractions kicked in and around 10:45 I was having some good, regular contractions. They checked me again and I had dilated to around 3cm and was about 50cm effaced. He hadn't dropped yet, so she still couldn't break my water.

By 11:30, my contractions were strong and I was sitting propped up in bed trying to not focus on the pain. I didn't want to rush into getting an epidural because I didn't want to slow the process. That thought process lasted about 30 minutes before I was crying to the nurse. She let me go to the bathroom, and the empty bladder helped relieve the contractions while we waited on the anesthesiologist. At 12:30 I got that wonderful epidural.. ah.. my legs were tingly and heavy.. fantastic. :)

By 2:30 I had dropped to -2 so they could break my water. They kept saying that this should get things going because I was still progressing really slowly. I did get some progress, and at 5 they measured me and I had dilated to 5cm. But, the nurse said he was "caddywompus" against my cervix so he wasn't pushing directly on it, which wasn't helping with the dilation. They put this little contraption inside my uterus to measure the strength of the contractions. After seeing that my contractions were actually on the weak side, they upped my Pitocin again since I was still at a moderate dosage. I was starting to feel like we were going to be there all night again, and I was being poopy about the whole thing. I had already watched countless episodes of Friends and Reba, and my poor mom and Michael just sat there and couldn't really do anything. :(

6:30pm, I got checked and they found I was 7cm! It was like HALLELUJAH! This cheered me up because that means we were in the home stretch! Shortly after all this, I started feeling contractions. I told my nurse and she asked me if they were tolerable, and they were..so I sucked it up for a little bit. Then, I told her it freaked me out because I didn't want to start feeling things when it was showtime. She gave me a bolus of the epidural and I rotated to the side I was feeling to hope to get it over that way. About 30 minutes later I was still feeling the contractions, so they gave me the rest of the dosage, and that finally worked. I was back to being numb and happy. :)

I kept telling Michael as time went on that this wasn't going to take long, that I was feeling pressure down low, and I could tell he was moving. Sure enough, 9pm rolled around and they checked me and I was 10cm, and at +2 which mean't he was not far from coming out (which is +4). Mom vacated the room, and it was showtime. I started pushing around 9:1oish (did my normal puke) and he was born at 9:33. This time around, I was so calm and just focused on pushing. I think because I "labored down" for so long and let him basically move down on his own, I didn't have to push a ton to get him to move down, which saved me energy. Once he came out, they put him right on my chest and it was an overwhelming feeling of relief and love. It was awesome.

Jackson Cole Fansler
4/9/2012 - 9:33 pm
9lbs 6oz
21 inches
37 cm head circumference


The not so great: They gave me a shot of methogen to keep from hemorrhaging again this time, so my after birth wasn't nearly as bad as last time.. and of course I got stitches, but they did not hurt as bad as the first.. I guess Will paved the way.. And I puked after once they pushed on my tummy. And, then I almost fainted when they tried to move me to the wheelchair. And, then puked again once I ate some fruit in my recovery room.. I got some Zofran so keep the food down and so I could get some pain meds.. and around 2am, we were finally settled.

During the time period between after birth and recovery room, Michael and Jackson were in the nursery getting measurements, bath, blood sugar checked (apparently they do that with fat babies), etc. All scores came back good, and when they were wheeling me up in the bed to recovery, I got to look in the nursery and there Michael was pointing at his boy-- the proudest daddy! It was so sweet.

Tuesday - 4/10/2012

He ate pretty good during the night and we were able to get a little bit of rest here and there. All of his check ups were going well, and my check ups were going well too. They stopped coming in to push on my belly after only 3 or so times, which meant I was clotting well. That morning, Michael's parents brought Will to see Jackson and it was so cute! He just kept saying that it was his little brother and that he wanted to see/hold/touch/talk to Jackson. And, he goes, "mama, your belly widdle." Yes, why yes it is. :) Now, he asks to see my belly every day and comments on how little it is. Great child. ;) Mom and Kelly came by a little later and got Jackson to take a little nap so that I could take a little nap.. which was wonderful. That night, he ate, and ate, and ate, and ate..

Wednesday - 4/11/2012

Jackson got checked out by the pediatrician and all tests came back great. He is B-, which makes our family the perfect punnett square (yes, a science reference) because I am O- and Michael is B-. We got discharged and made our way home! Of course we stopped by Chick-Fil-A... I swear, this kid probably bleeds Chick-Fil-A with as much as I ate this pregnancy.. and we were shocked at his weight.. psh.. :) Once we got home, I think Daisy said to herself, "seriously? another one?" Ha. Will was at daycare, so someone went to get him and when he got home.. HOLY.MOLY. Everyone always told me that having 2 was a whole new ballgame, but WOW. Will is crazy, and Jackson wanted to nurse and sleep.. poor Michael. Last night was fine until around 9pm and he wanted to snack every 30 minutes, until it got to be around X:00 *no clue what time it really was* and he didn't want the boob, didn't want a passy, didn't want to be rocked, so it was just cry time. Last time, I am pretty sure I would have lost it, but this time I just had patience and eventually he took the boob and went to sleep. I think at this point it may have been 1am? He then slept until about 4 (or maybe it was 5?) and he wanted to eat. Are you catching the drift that I'm not really stressing about all this? Second baby syndrome. Yea, he is eating, and sleeping, and pooping.. Healthy baby! Anyway, at 6am, my other baby comes walking into the room wanting Fruit Loops and it was obvious once again that having 2 is way different.. :)

Wearing the same coming home outfit as William

We have been able to snack and nap today and overall he has been pretty happy! Tonight I need to make time to spend with just Will because last night he didn't want to sleep in his bed and so he came and laid with me for a bit and said, "where was you yesterday? I misses you.." Which, with the hormones, made me ball my eyes out. I think we are going to have a PaRtY bEd and eat some Fruit Loops and drink some milk and watch a little Disney Junior before bed. This will give Michael a break too for a bit.

All in all, this is so worth it. My heart has multiplied in size and I love both of my boys so much!!

"A child reaches for your hand and touches your heart."




And just as a comparison of William and Jackson:


1 comment: