Today, kids, I got to witness our judicial system in action. That's right.. JURY DUTY! Let me just re-cap it for you in case you don't get to be a part of a person's 6th amendment right to trial by jury.
7:45 - arrive at downtown parking deck (you don't have to be there until 8:30.. better early than late!)
8:30 - check in at Jury Lounge.. long line. Very bland place.. looks like a 1970's library minus shelves and books. Nothing but chairs and tables.
9:00 - robotic welcome from Jury Clerk. I wish I had it on tape it was so bland.
9:10 - watch video about jury duty. Riveting.
9:30 - first set of jurors called.... not me.
10:15 - second set of jurors called.... not me again.
11:30 - "ok jurors.. the case you will be needed for will not begin until after lunch, so you can leave but please be back before 2:30." 2:30?! what am I going to do for 3 hours?!
2:30 - I'm back..
3:00 - seriously?
3:30 - finally called. for the next hour and half, 12 potential jurors are questioned on marital status, where they live, their jobs, their spouse's/children's jobs.. and then their feelings regarding car accidents, paying for 'pain and suffering', etc. etc. I was not one of these 12 jurors.. so I just sat in the pew and listened...... blaaaah. I have to say.. jury selection has got to be the most boring thing I have ever been a part of..
5:00 - jurors dismissed.... only to have to return at 9:30 am the next day..
NOW. if I had known that all I had to do was tell the Bailiff that I was a teacher and needed to be at work this week, I wouldn't have to go back.. but somehow I must have faded out during those instructions. So, tomorrow I will repeat and try and get out of it. Most boring day ever.
On the other hand, it was Will's first day at his new daycare! We got a good report card - he ate all of his breakfast and most of his lunch, played with blocks and puppets, and the cutest thing is that they said he carried his softy around all day.. awww! so precious!
My mom also took him to a dr's appt to check his ears and no infection.. just wax and they think he is teething. Great. Is it bad when you want something to be wrong so you feel like it was right to spend the $ for him to go to the doc?! That's what's wrong with our health care system..
Back to the Real World
12 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment