Wednesday, September 30, 2009

This little piggy..

..and I am not talking about the nursery rhyme.. my little piggy of a kid!! He is 4 weeks old today and he weighs approximately 10 lbs 9 oz....Fatty McFatfat :) I guess it is better than him not gaining weight, but seriously?! Did I birth a linebacker?

So, it has been 2 weeks since I last posted.. I know, I know.. I've been busy, OK?! Here are the updates. We have stopped nursing because it was just taking too much out of me. Michael looked at me one night and said, "honey, I love you, but you look like death.. this is not working." It was becoming really hard to judge how much he had eaten, when he was full, keeping him awake during feedings, and still having some down time to myself without my chest constantly being tied to a baby..Basically, it was one big stress ball. I cried pretty much every day because I was constantly worrying that I was doing something wrong which is why he wanted to eat all the time, and beating myself up over the fact that it wasn't coming as easy as I had hoped. Now, I use a pump and so he is still getting breast milk at each feeding. This allows me to not freak out about his feedings because I can monitor how much he eats and it lets me feel like I have control over the situation. Since transitioning to only pumping and giving bottles with 1/2 breast milk and 1/2 formula, I have been so much more at ease. I feel like this is the best decision for us and it will allow me to give him breast milk for longer than if I were just nursing (I would have given that up after 2 weeks..) A downside is that bottles have to be made and cleaned.. and sometimes he wants to eat right away and I have to scurry to get him a bottle quick. Sometimes he sleeps for 3 hours, but most of the time he still wants to eat every 2 hours.. I hope this changes soon-- I would love to get more sleep at night!! The other downside is that he tends to spit up more with formula. Not sure if it is the bottles or the type of formula, so we switched him to a gentler formula that has the milk already partially broken down to see if that helps.

I have much less anxiety about leaving the house now that the feeding is under control. Last Friday, Michael took me to see one of our favorite comedians in Durham and my mom stayed at our house to watch Will. It was nice to get out and have a "date night" with Michael, and I knew that Will was doing fine with his grandma! On Saturday, Will's other grandparents came up to visit and Michael went to the State game. On Sunday, we all got decked out in a our Chargers shirts and watched football! My birthday was on Monday, and his umbilical cord stump fell off which I thought was a great birthday present since that thing was NASTY! The other night we gave him his first real bath and he screamed the entire time!! We felt bad, but good thing we got it all on tape to be able to show him later in life..mwahaha. Since he has become a little more predictable (and I am not constantly sitting at home nursing him), we have been able to get out and about and run errands during the day.

Overall, things are becoming sooooo much easier to handle!! I am learning what he likes and dislikes and what his typical schedule is. Michael is learning, but he is at a disadvantage since he isn't home with him everyday like I am. When he gets home, he wants to hold him and talk to him, and sometimes I have to tell him NO! He's sleeping!!! But he is doing a great job and is an awesome dad and a great husband to me. I am truly blessed. :)

It seems like time has flown by, but I keep reminding myself that I still have a long time before I go back to work and I just want to cherish every day!! I love my little man and it has been worth all of the trouble! Here are some updated pics!

William at 3 weeks




Before going to see the comedian



With Grandpa


Game Day with matching Chargers shirts


"Daddy's #1 Draft Pick"


William at 4 weeks


Yawns!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy,

    Long time no talkie, but gotta say -- he is Beautiful! I'm so happy for you and Michael. I got to see all the wedding photos and that was wonderful, too. If my hands weren't so uncooperative, I'd make a nice sampler for William. I have a friend who is English and she breastfed. She thought it would be easy, too, but Briana didn't eat for a week! It wasn't the simplest thing, even tho she was much more familiar with it, since in her family it is "normal". I know your mother is happy!

    I'll be following the fun on the blog!

    Love, Maura

    ReplyDelete