For example:
1. BK (before kids), Michael and I would each pack a bag, throw it in the car, and go. AK (after kids), we have to start packing 3 days ahead of time, pack the entire house, cram it into the car, stop an hour into the ride to feed the little one, and I end up sitting in the back trying to entertain a kid and keep a baby from screaming.
2. BK, Michael and I would take our beach chairs down to the sand, lather up, and pop in the earbuds. AK, we load ourselves up with umbrellas, toys, spf 55+, chairs, baby tent, etc... almost to the point that we have to waddle because we are carrying too much.
3. BK, I could swim and relax in the ocean. AK, I sit at the edge of the water, and maybe spend 5 minutes by myself in the ocean. I'm not scared of the ocean or what it contains, but I do find myself more cautious when I have Will with me because my mind immediately goes to "omg, what if a shark comes up and eats him," or "uh oh, big wave, must lift him up, don't want him to drown, ok I'm pooped, time to go in."
Will - living the dream
4. BK, we would go to dinner and enjoy a night out at a seaside restaurant. AK, two words: Pirate's Voyage.
5. BK, I read a book on vacation. AK, I read many books, most of which involve a dog named Clifford.
6. BK, Michael and I took advantage of hotel black out curtains. AK, we're still up at 6:30.
7. BK, I took a nap on the beach listening to the sweet sounds of crashing waves. AK, the only person taking a nap on the beach was Jackson.
8. BK, we were down by the ocean by 10, and came in around 4 to get ready for dinner. AK, we were down at the ocean by 10, and came in around 12 to eat lunch, put the kids down for a nap but can't leave the room because the baby monitor won't transmit that far, pre-heat the oven at 4 for the pizza because a) kid's meals aren't cheap and Will never eats much at restaurants, b) we can't keep him entertained enough to really enjoy a relaxing meal, and c) I usually have to eat one-handed when we go out because I'm holding J.Bug.
9. BK, I had to pretend to like to play putt-putt because Michael is obsessed. AK, I can let him and Will play and just sit back and enjoy. PS, Will got his first hole in one.. little BrAg!
10. BK, we would hit up places like Crocodile Rocks for a drink and late night fun as a couple. AK, we're back at the hotel by 8, winding down, and in bed by 9:30. The end.
..So, it might seem like the BK life is what I prefer. But, I have to say.. I absolutely love experiencing these times again through my kids. To see how excited Will got at jumping over waves, or the giant plane at the putt-putt place, or how his eyes lit up at the Pirate show, it makes it all worth it. I had my time, and I will have it again. Besides, this is what I signed up for when I decided to become a parent. I wouldn't change it for the world. Love the AK life! :)









No comments:
Post a Comment