Friday, January 1, 2010

uuuugh...

I should have won *insert sarcastic voice here* "mom of the year" plenty of times so far, but for the first time ever, I really feel like my instincts led me in the right direction and for that Will should be thankful.

Before Christmas, Will was acting unusual. He had gotten into a good rhythm of eating 5oz, and then his naps were starting to extend.. then all of a sudden he didn't even want to take 2oz and would spit up most of that. He also got harder to put down to sleep - the minute you would lay him down drowsy (which before he would just roll over and fall asleep), he would start kicking his feet and jibber jabber talk to you or squeal in delight. As adorable as it is, it is not fun when you have tried to get the kid to take a nap for 45 minutes. His drool amount had also increased significantly (see other post about nasty slobber), and he was putting things in his mouth and somewhat chewing on them. Add a somewhat warm body temp to the mix and AH HA! It's teething!

Welll...... all that was well and good until Christmas when he started getting congested and started sounding like a pig when he breathed in. Then the nose started running... still, I was convinced it was teething because that is what everything I read described as the precursors to a tooth erupting. We got him a humidifier and hoped that it would clear up the congestion.

A few more days went by and he was sooooo cranky and clingy. He did not want to be put down, even to play with a toy. He cried during the day for no reason.. this is not typical of Will. So I gave the pediatrician a call just to check to be sure that it was teething and not something else since Michael and I had both been sick in previous weeks. She said we should come on in just to get him checked out.

Upon further review by the pediatrician, she saw that he had a lot of ear wax in his ears so she wanted to use a funny lookin' wire thing to clean them out...

HOLY CRAPANOLY. Never. Never have I heard my child scream like this. Not even with shots. It was the highest pitch evvvver and he would not stop. He was going insane. You would have thought they cut his leg off or something. I have to admit that I laughed once just because I was so amazed that he was screaming like he was (mom of the year, I know.) Good thing Michael was there to hold his arms down so she could examine him and come to find out that he has an ear infection.

Sweet. And she said that he was probably teething as well, so a double whammy for little Will. We have yet to see a tooth so hopefully it is coming soon and he can have some relief. She prescribed him some amoxicillin and we have to administer it to him orally for 10 days. I'm so glad that I called because homeboy was dealing with an ear infection this whole time when I thought it was just teething. He goes back for his 4 month check up on Thursday, so I hope he is better by then!!

No comments:

Post a Comment