The other night I had this dream that I was driving in the backseat next to Will in his carseat, and I could reach the gas pedal but not the brake pedal. This was fine until I decided to go across a few lanes of traffic and I saw huge trucks in the lanes.. all I remember is turning to Will and putting my arms around him to shield him.. then I woke up.
It was very obvious that even in my dreams that I would do anything to protect my baby boy.
But what happens when I can't protect him? Like today when I locked him in the car. With it running. With my phone. Luckily, the A/C was going, bc it is hot as hades outside and he could have been in real danger. Michael had the extra car key -- in Charleston. I tried to get back into the house with a spare, but the spare didn't work (thanks Home Depot.) My mom and sister are at some Special Olympics thing and I was home alone..
What to do?! Panic? Yep. My heart was racing, I was thinking of every 4 letter word in the book.. I ran next door and she wasn't home.. all I could think was maybe I could use her phone to call someone..
Then, I ran across the street.. twisted my ankle.. and rang their door bell..
"hi! I'm Amy.. I live across the street.. and.. uh.. I locked my child in the car.. can your husband help me?!"
He came out with a metal rod thingy to try and break into my car.. meanwhile, Will is just hangin' out.. pointing at birds.. and all I could think is.. Michael is never going to leave me home alone again.
So the neighbor tried to no avail to get the door ajar, and so I literally started thinking, ok, what can I pick up and smash the window in? Just then, he realized he knew a police officer friend who could come and help.. and within no time, the cop showed up and within 5 minutes had my door open! Yay!!
But seriously. I was flipping out.. for the first time I felt helpless.. I am just so thankful that I had cranked the car and that it was cool in there for him.. I would have been a crazy mess if I hadn't.. and thank God my neighbors were home.. I will definitely be more careful from now on!
Back to the Real World
12 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment